Monday, October 20, 2008

FOOTBALL CAN BE INTELLIGENT...

Last night I saw a new Nike commercial during the Buccaneers-Seahawks game that really jumped out at me. I knew there was something special about it, even after the first 10 seconds of watching. The spot follows NFL stars LaDanian Tomlinson and Troy Polamalu, paralleling their rise from birth to fearless children, to high school heroes, into the college years, and it finally culminates in a huge, crushing NFL-sized tackle involving the two players. The spot is driven by an inspiring hip-hop version of Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold", and the storytelling methods could be equal to that of "Citizen Kane", if Orson Welles had made short pieces. I'm actually suprised that this wasn't saved for a Super Bowl timeslot, it's that good.

I looked for it on the internet when I came into work today, and to no suprise, found out it was directed by David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac), one of my favorite directors of all time. Even if you are a fan of this man (which I hope you are), its hard not to connect to the spot without even knowing he was behind it. So I present to you one of the better commercials that I've seen in a really, really long time.

No comments: